NEXT FESTIVAL: Saturday 24th April 2021
The Hawkesbury Upton Literature Festival is a FREE public event celebrating books and reading. Founded in 2015 by local author Debbie Young, it is now a permanent fixture in the Cotswolds’ cultural calendar on a Saturday close to World Book Night, the global celebration of books and reading that is focused on readers rather than authors.
Hawkesbury Primary School is just one of five village venues that host HULF (illustration copyright T E Shepherd 2017)
The Hawkesbury Upton Literature Festival takes place in the beautiful Cotswold village of Hawkesbury Upton (no surprises there), on the Cotswold Way, on the southern border of Gloucestershire. We have used a variety of venues around the village over the years, including:
- Hawkesbury Primary School
- Hawkesbury Village Hall
- The Bethesda Chapel
- The Methodist Chapel and School Room
- The Church of St Mary the Virgin
- The Fox Inn
With the exception of St Mary’s, these venues are all a pleasant five-minute walk apart down the High Street. St Mary’s is a longer but beautiful walk or short drive.
All the events at our Festival are FREE to make it affordable for everyone. So just come along on the day – no advance booking required.
Save your money to buy our authors’ books! Please try to buy at least one book on the day as a thank-you to those who have given their time voluntarily to make this event free for you to attend.
OTHER EVENTS THROUGHOUT THE YEAR
We also stage smaller events at other times of the year to keep the momentum going, e.g.
- Our 2020 Festival is still running as a “Festival in a Box”, a new idea created to keep the Festival alive during Covid-19 lockdown – read all about it here.
- Our Pop-up Festival at the Hawkesbury Horticultural Show in August
- A literary scarecrow for the village scarecrow festival in October
- A book-themed Christmas tree at the parish Christmas Tree Festival at St Mary’s Church, in December
- Stalls at community events such as jumble sales, table-top sales and Christmas shopping evenings and fairs
In 2020 we are also sourcing literary events for the Wotton Arts Festival, which in 2020 celebrates its 50th anniversary.
Sign up to our mailing list to receive news announcements in your inbox.
We look forward to sharing our love of books and reading with you.